As you walk into the spacious entrance of our middle school it becomes obvious why this building, built in 1991, was named “Westview”. The view of the Rocky Mountains is breathtaking and reminds us how fortunate we are to live in Colorado. The building has received numerous architectural awards for its reflection of the mountain backdrop.
Of course, Westview is more than a building. It is a learning community consisting of approximately 775 students, 60 staff members, and a host of involved parents. Together, we strive to uphold the school motto, “Expect the Best”. Students are encouraged to work toward their academic potential, to build upon productive peer relations, and to develop positive self-esteem through accomplishing their goals. To support these ideas, the school was created using the concept of Student and Teacher Progression. Students receive instruction in their core academic subjects from the same team of teachers during all three years of their middle level experience.
In addition to core subjects, students are required to learn about their world by taking additional classes provided through our STEM Block and elective programs. Students take classes in art, technology, foreign language, digital photography, computer programming, music, physical education and other extended learning opportunities.
Westview Middle School takes pride in the efforts and accomplishments of its community.
The mission of Westview Middle School is to foster a community where we teach the whole child to think critically and creatively to ensure high academic growth and achievement in order to be successful in an ever-changing future.
- Student Teacher Progression (STP) enhances student achievement and fosters healthy interpersonal relationships.
- A middle school model focused on teaching the whole child which includes teaming, affective programming, and a wide range of learning opportunities and co-curricular activities best meets the needs of young adolescent learners.
- A comprehensive elective program is essential.
- Teachers, students, staff, and parents must be committed to high expectations.
- A safe and nurturing environment is essential for learning and is founded on respect.
- Learning is the ability to explore interests, to solve problems, to access information, to critically analyze, to develop and support beliefs, and to communicate effectively.
- A strong work ethic and sense of personal responsibility are essential to meet the challenges of the future.
- A rigorous learning environment creates high academic achievement and growth.
- Project-Based Learning allows students to learn, create, innovate, think, and apply Twenty-First Century skills.
- The design process is embedded across the school curriculum.
- Critical thinking is fundamental for student success.
- A STEM focus is significant to prepare students for future success in an ever changing world.
- Community and family involvement is essential.
- Parents, students and staff use technology to connect learning beyond the school day and school walls.
We envision a high-achieving STEM middle school that enhances learning for our community by connecting learning beyond the walls of the classroom through the use of technology. Our students will problem solve, collaborate, communicate, innovate, and construct meaning through Project-Based Learning to be prepared to be successful in a digital and global society.
Awards and Achievements
- 2022: Colorado Music Educators Association – Outstanding Young Music Educator Award – Band Director Carrie Proctor
- 2020-2023: National Recognition as a School to Watch
- 2015-2018: National Recognition as a School to Watch
- 2015-2017: National Recognition as an Apple Distinguished School
- 2021: Code Zone Challenge 1st Place
- 2019, 2021: Cross Country Centaurus Invitational 1st Place
- 2020: Society of Women Engineers Essay Contest 1st Place
- 2020: 7 Mindsets School of Excellence
- 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202: Robotics Colorado State Champion
- 2019: Robotics US Open Amaze Award
- 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: Math Counts Gold Level Club (National Math Club)
- 2018: Odyssey of the Mind 1st Place
- 2015: St Vrain District Geography Bee 1st Place
- 2015: Finalist in PBS Story Makers
- 2015: District Geography Bee 1st Place
- 2015: Show us Your Coaster Design Contest 1st Place
- 2014: Cross Country Girls Colorado Middle School State Champion
- 2012, 2013, 2014: Cross Country Boys Colorado Middle School State Champion
- 2014: Recognized by the Colorado House of Representatives as one of the Top Performing Schools in Colorado
- 2014: Renew Our School’s Competition: Top performing Middle School
- 2011, 2013, 2014: Governor’s Distinguished School
- 2010-2011: Accredited with Distinction